search the home sim blog

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

HI! challenge, day 08

FYI: Ariel challenged me to say hi and attempt conversation with one stranger a day in SL for 30 days and blog about it. Today is day 08. This fyi will appear at the top of each post. All photos and names of strangers are used with permission. Names of established friends are used indiscriminately!!! :-D

Awwww, I met a newb today! And no, ChatBrat, I wasn't preying on newbs in a welcome area. ;-P I was at Designers United 4, of all places. How does a 1-day newb find DU4? This wasn't a fake newb on an alt, this person really seemed new.

Let me just say up front there are no names or pictures this time because the person got freaked out and logged before I could ask. LOL!

So there I am at DU4. I am waiting for the lovely dresses and whatnot of loveliness to rez, because I cannot buy you, lovely pixel thing, if I cannot see you. I am totally not looking at people, I am waiting for the rez. Then I see this in local:

[02:17 PM]  ..::STOP CLICKIN ME SYSTEM::..V3.0: Why u tryna b me!!, Owly Indigo.

omggggggggggg I did ctrl alt t and sure enough there is somebody with a big red ball around them. Erm ... yeah, I'm tryna b u. God, I wish I had thought to take a picture of that person, because she had an av as ugly as her g-dropping stop clickin me system. I was sooooooooooo tempted to click this person repeatedly. So tempted. It was a huge struggle not to. Sigh.

Anyway ... I also see in local that there is a person (I never did discover if it was male, female, other) trying to say hi and chat with people in local. And someone says to this person ...

 im lagging, not a good place to chit chat, sorry.

Seriously? That's how you brush someone off, "I'm laggy"? Though I have to admit, finding a one-day newb at DU4 was weird, and people at sales events like DU4 are focused. The poor newb said:

[02:23 PM]  newb: sorry but i'm new here
[02:23 PM]  newb: and i didn't know
[02:24 PM]  newb: ok bye

/me cries. I'll talk to you lil newbie friend!

[02:24 PM]  Owly Indigo: hi [name removed] welcome to second life ;-)
[02:25 PM]  newb: hi
[02:25 PM]  newb: thnx
[02:26 PM]  newb: this is my first day here
[02:26 PM]  newb: how are you?
[02:26 PM]  Owly Indigo: I saw that in yoru profile!
[02:26 PM]  Owly Indigo: your*
[02:27 PM]  Owly Indigo: what made you sign up?
[02:27 PM]  newb: i didn't know anything here
[02:27 PM]  newb: imvu is so easy
[02:28 PM]  newb: oh yes, there is a HUGE learning curve with SL
[02:28 PM]  Owly Indigo: and I have to say ... people at this event are pretty focused and probably not so into chatting right now lol
[02:28 PM]  Owly Indigo: but ... if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help if I can ;-)
[02:28 PM]  Owly Indigo: and I have a LM to a newb-friendly sim you could explore
[02:28 PM]  newb: thnx you are so nice
[02:29 PM]  Inventory item offered
[02:29 PM]  Owly Indigo: that is a landmark to my sim ... there is a coffee shop there, and some stores, and parks
[02:29 PM]  newb: ok but i must leave now
[02:30 PM]  Owly Indigo: ok! hope you enjoy playing in SL! ;-D
[02:30 PM]  Owly Indigo: see you later ...
[02:30 PM]  newb: i will  talk later

Yay! Ok, sure, I came on a little strong and made the person go ohokIgottagonowbye (which of course I totally did myself when people talked to me when I was a newb), but at least now this person knows not everyone in SL is a stuck up heartless too-busy-to-talk-to-you jerk. I may never see him/her/it again, but I do hope he/she/it has fun exploring SL.

And then I shopped some more! (dance)

No comments: