search the home sim blog

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

CHALLENGE

I have kind of a long story to tell you, but it ends with a CHALLENGE from Miss Ariel to me. I hope you'll bear with me and follow along with my challenge for the month of September.

So this summer/winter (north/south hemispheres), it's been a little quiet on the Home Sim. We've not been quite as active as we usually are, since many people were away or on vacation or just BUSY. Nonetheless, there has been a lot of activity related to various hunts and gatherings and new store openings, but ... yeah, since the end of OpSquee, it's been a bit honk shu.

Sometimes I like to just hang around by the aviary and watch the green dots pop in and out of various stores in the market for hunt gifts. I like to read the profiles of the people popping in and out - especially those ones that are all "nosy bitch get your ass outta mah supa private special snowflake profile!" or whatever. haha - those ones I look at VERY CAREFULLY and FOR A LONG TIME.

Where was I going with this. Oh yeah! So I see an av wandering around, and I look at her profile. Her name is Carrie Lexington, she has a blog, and she has a pick in her profile that says "How to Build Community in Second Life," IM me if you'd like to have a poster of this. And I think ... HELL YEAH! I want to get back to building community on the Home Sim! I IM her, she's supernice, and I get what is written at the end of this post on a prim. These are things I want to do and to encourage. I put the poster up in the coho. I am happy.

Then I IM Ariel (this is edited a lot):

[05:08 PM]  Owly Indigo: yay, I got something cool today, a "poster" on how to build community in SL, I put it up in the coho
[05:08 PM]  Owly Indigo: it is inspiring me
[05:08 PM]  Inventory item offered
[05:10 PM]  Ariel Wingtips: reading...
[05:11 PM]  Ariel Wingtips: step 1: leave skybox
[05:11 PM]  Ariel Wingtips: hahaha
[05:11 PM]  Owly Indigo: I am being like super friendly today, what's up with that
[05:13 PM]  Owly Indigo: I have a thingy I want to do ... I want to say hi to at least ONE new person in SL each day
[05:13 PM]  Owly Indigo: I'm sure it will wear off
[05:13 PM]  Ariel Wingtips: i dare you o do it for 30 days and blog the experience
[05:13 PM]  Owly Indigo: wah!
[05:13 PM]  Ariel Wingtips: doooooo it
[05:13 PM]  Ariel Wingtips: dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo it
[05:13 PM]  Owly Indigo: that is QUITE a dare!!!!!
[05:13 PM]  Owly Indigo: girl
[05:14 PM]  Ariel Wingtips: yeah!
[05:14 PM]  Owly Indigo: I gonna do it
[05:14 PM]  Owly Indigo: I will start it Sept 1
[05:14 PM]  Owly Indigo: blog challenge!
[05:14 PM]  Ariel Wingtips: and then the rest is history
[05:14 PM]  Owly Indigo: good things happen!
[05:14 PM]  Ariel Wingtips: yes THEY DO
[05:15 PM]  Owly Indigo: if I didn't know you are so busy ... I would challenge you too!
[05:16 PM]  Ariel Wingtips: we can do it like a relay
[05:16 PM]  Ariel Wingtips: tag me at the end of september
[05:16 PM]  Ariel Wingtips: and i'll be next

[05:16 PM]  Owly Indigo: ok! yayayayay!
[05:16 PM]  Ariel Wingtips: relay for community
[05:16 PM]  Owly Indigo: and then YOU tag someone!
[05:16 PM]  Ariel Wingtips: then i will tag someone else

So there's my challenge - attempt to engage in conversation with a stranger each day for 30 days and blog about it. Starts tomorrow. Friendship starts with one person saying hi, and the other responding more or less positively; community begins when we start to take little steps toward being more friendly and open, just like in Carrie's list.

You know, in RL, I am not like this. I am not fond of talking to strangers. I'm not even that excited to talk with people that I know. But in SL I RP a friendly person! haha. This is definitely stretching for me, it is kinda risky, because I might tangle with some nasty people. But I might also meet some really really nice people. I am kind of excited to see how this goes.

If you're interested in building community in SL, read that post and follow along daily with this blog. Let's see how many friends and/or enemies I make in 30 days! ;-D HOOT!

2 comments:

ariel.wingtips said...

yay!!! you can do it!

Unknown said...

thanks for linking to my blog owly! it was lovely to meet you last night. this is a great reminder for me to get out there and mingle and make new friends too. it's easy for me to retreat into my shell, and ironically, i am guilty of not being very community minded myself. your kind words just made my day :))